Job title: Vice Consul, Consular Section, British High Commission Islamabad
Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Job description: The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Consular Roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of job:
A full-time high profile position offering the successful candidate the opportunity to develop case-handling strategies, project management and service delivery skills in one of the FCO’s foreign policy priority areas. The successful candidate will be the High Commission’s lead officer on areas of complex consular casework relating to cases of arrested and detained British nationals.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Oversee Islamabad’s detainee casework and ensure all cases are managed and dealt in accordance with Consular policy and guidance.
- Visit detainees at prisons to ensure their welfare and attend court hearings in agreement with internal stake holders.
- To proactively monitor and follow up on high profile and complex death penalty/mistreatment cases and to pursue results from Pakistan’s authorities keeping stake holders informed of wider human rights issues linked to the cases.
- To undertake proactive work by developing and managing projects in the areas of capital punishment and treatment of detainees in custody to increase capacity and sensitivity of local authorities to ensure international standards are adhered to.
- Line manage A2(L) Consular officer responsible for day to day management of detainee cases.
- To provide cover during peak periods and absences for colleagues who lead on Forced Marriage, Child abduction and deaths in suspicious circumstances cases. The opportunity to provide cover for the Vice Consul in Karachi may also be offered.
- Maintain an effective contact network within the relevant local government departments, including police, prison, MFA and MOI to ensure timely response.
- Train for and be a member of the High Commission´s consular crisis response team.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Level of language required: fluent (verbal and written)
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Good Communication skills (Fluent in spoken and written English and Urdu)
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Effective team player
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
2/3 years of working on human rights issues.
Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
2 December 2020
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
South Asia & Afghanistan
Type of Post
British High Commission
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (PKR)
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 January 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
For BHC candidates, the Local BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, Basic Salary will be PKR 146,425.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The successful candidate will undergo mandatory consular training and induction process.
Please note applications without (a), (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation Segment and competency based questions in the Online Application Form.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, and check for the eligibility clause if on probation, else the applications will not be considered.
Only online applications will be accepted by 2 Decemeber 2020, 23.55pm PKT.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Job date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 02:37:04 GMT
Apply for the job now!